The main goal of the Spring-Ford 5/6 center’s Visual Art curriculum is to help students experience Art as a form of self-expression and creativity. We will help your child become a better art appreciator through the development of skills, awareness, and appreciation of the Visual Arts.
We will provide students with different opportunities to develop:
- Listening Skills: by learning and following project directions
- Problem Solving Skills: by creating multiple solutions during the creation process
- Art Appreciation and History: by introducing students to various artists, world cultures, and time periods.
- Exploration ofa variety of different art techniques, concepts and media, such as:
- Drawing-pencil, colored pencil, charcoal, markers, scraffito and crayons
- Painting-watercolor, tempera, acrylics, and watercolor pencils.
- 3Dimensional-clay, paper, and papier-mâché sculptures
- Understanding of the Elements of Art-line, color, shape form and texture
- Understanding of the Principals of design-balance, unity, repetition, and rhythm
- Introduction to various art terminology- i.e.: value, blending, and gradation
- Development of Visual Perception: through observation skills
- Development of Self Esteem: by taking pride in their successes in artistic accomplishments
In 5th grade general music, we will:
- continue and build on recorder playing
- use dynamics in playing and singing
- identify simple musical forms while using correct terminology
- read treble clef music notation
- distinguish differences between various time signatures
- identify basic notes and rests through performance
- performing with vocals and recorder in small and large group settings
- music repertoire will consist of traditional, multi-cultural, patriotic, and seasonal songs.
- identify instruments and their families through sight, as well as listening activities
- learning about music history and composers through discussion and listening
In 6th grade general music, we will continue with the 5th grade fundamentals, and add the following:
- discuss the relationship between mood and tempo
- identify more complex music forms
- master treble clef notation
- experiment with different meters and note types
- demonstrate expression while singing
- discuss and identify various vocal timbres
- conduct in depth discussions on appropriate concert etiquette
- learn about new composers and music history
Students in 5th and 6th grade have the opportunity to participate in weekly afterschool chorus.During these rehearsals, the students will prepare music for the winter and spring music concerts.We will focus on the following skills:
- proper breath control
- musical blend
- stage presence
- overall performance etiquette
5th and 6th Grade Physical Education
- Learn about locomotor skills, running, leaping and fundamental movements through various small games and cooperative activities.
- Use pathways, levels and directions to build body and spatial awareness skills, and develop concepts of, throwing and catching, shooting skills, kicking, punting, dribbling, volleying and striking.
- Emphasize team building, and physical fitness concepts.
- Participate in physical activities and recognize activities that are good for physical fitness.
5th Grade Health
- Develop strategies to make healthy choices.
- Learn about how to be a healthy person socially, mentally and physically.
- Learn about how to care for eyes, ears, teeth and skin to promote overall health.
- Understand concepts related to growth and development, including personal hygiene.
- Learn about the effects of drugs on the body including smoking, alcohol and Marijuana.
- Build strategies and understand how advertising affects us.
- Build strategies and understand how to be assertive and how to communicate effectively with others.
6th Grade Health
- Learn how proper physical, mental and social health can lead to an overall healthy triangle.
- Develop an awareness of issues and strategies related to tobacco, alcohol, and drugs.
- Explain the role of self-concept and self-esteem in promoting wellness.
- Extend knowledge of effective decision making and refusal skills.
- Learn about disease prevention and control.Gain an understanding of Communicable and noncommunicable.