May 16, 2022 – Work Session
May 23, 2022 – Board Meeting
May 2022 Presentations
- Limerick Elementary School Mentorship Program
- NAMM Best Community for Music Education and SFAHS High School Musician Recognition
2022-2023 Final Budget Update
The Spring-Ford School District Board of School Directors voted to adopt the final budget of $182,853,704 for the 2022-2023 school year during the School Board Meeting on May 23, 2022. The final budget includes a 3.25% tax increase, which equates to an increase of .9333 mills, resulting in a millage rate of 29.6712. This equates to a $93.33 increase per $100,000 assessed.
How does Spring-Ford compare?
- With nearly 8,000 students, Spring-Ford is the fourth largest district in Montgomery County and based on the 2022-2023 Proposed Final Budget, is the sixth lowest millage rate (tax rate) in the county.
- Spring-Ford has been able to reduce its debt obligation over the past 10 years by approximately $133 million
- The district has achieved a Moody's rating of AA1 due to a conservative budgeting approach. In Moody's Investors Service's ratings system, securities are assigned a rating from AAA to C, with AAA being the highest quality and C the lowest quality.
Community Relations Committee
The Community Relations Committee met on May 3, 2022 at 6:30 p.m. Representatives from the CCIU attended the meeting to discuss the Communications Audit, and spoke with Board Members about what they hope to see coming from the Communications Department in the future. Mr. Rothermel discussed Audio/Visual upgrades needed for the Cafeteria, Hurda Learning Center, and Auditorium for the 23-24 school year. Mr. Rothermel sought the Committee’s guidance, specifically for input about future Board Meeting location options. Following a lengthy discussion, the Committee agreed the best option was to continue holding Board Meetings in the high school cafeteria. Mr. Rothermel will continue working on the plan for upgrades in the 23-24 school year. The Community Relations Committee meets bi-monthly, the next meeting will be held on September 6, 2022.
Curriculum and Technology Committee
The Curriculum and Technology Committee met on May 9, 2022 at 7:30 p.m. Mr. Robert Catalano, Director of Technology, started the meeting by discussing contract renewals, the Smart Panel project, and presented on KnowBe4. KnowBe4 which is a Security Awareness training. This training was proposed for all staff to help with the awareness of phishing emails and other security threats related to email. Mrs. Catie Gardy, Director of Curriculum and Instruction, provided an update on the Summer R.A.M.S. program and a K-6 ELA update. The next meeting will be Monday, June 13, 2022 at 7:30 p.m.
The Property Committee met on May 12, 2022 at 6:30 p.m. Mr. Robert Hunter, Director of Planning, Operations, and Facilities, lead discussions on the following topics:
Spring City Elementary Strategic Planning Update
- Current classroom capacity at Spring City Elementary and overflow classroom capacity in the remaining elementary schools.
- School programming and how it drives space needs.
- Sundance Demographics is underway with data collection for the study.
- Educational adequacy and what the building needs will be which help determine overall size, structure, and cost.
GESA Investment Grade Audit Update
- Johnson Controls Inc. was selected as Spring-Ford’s ESCO partner for building evaluations and recommendations for energy conservation measures.
- Energy consumption baselines have been finalized and SFASD is on track for the final business case review in June, which will provide guaranteed energy savings and construction costs for the proposed energy conservation measures.
- Submittal of IGA and proposed GESA contract is expected by June 30th.
Chief David Boyer, Coordinator of Safety, Security and Emergency Preparedness, discussed emergency management projects and initiatives. The next meeting will be held on June 14, 2022 at 7:30 p.m.
The following policies were approved:
1. Policy #323 - Tobacco and Vaping Products
2. Policy #324 - Personnel Files
3. Policy #326 - Complaint Process
4. Policy #328 - Compensation Plans/Salary Schedules
5. Policy #330 - Overtime
6. Policy #331 - Job Related Expenses
7. Policy #332 - Working Periods
8. Policy #333 - Professional Development
9. Policy #334 - Sick Leave
10. Policy #335 - Family and Medical Leaves
11. Policy #336 - Personal Necessity Leave
12. Policy #337 - Vacation
13. Policy #338 - Sabbatical Leave
14. Policy #338.1 - Compensated Professional Leaves
The next meeting will be held on June 13, 2022 at 7:30 p.m.