DETAILED REOPENING INFORMATION
Spring-Ford will begin the 2020-2021 school year on September 8, 2020 with students receiving online instruction. The objective of online instruction is to provide an efficient learning experience that will balance synchronous and asynchronous lessons Monday through Friday. The Reopening page on the Spring-Ford website provides families with detailed information including:
- Links to Reopening Documents, Health and Safety Plans, WMCTC Reopening Plans, and COVID-19 Information for Travelers
- Grade-specific overviews
- Spring-Ford’s COVID-19 Timeline
- A glossary of terms
- Ram Chat videos
We understand that each of our families are in a variety of different situations. We are trying to keep the academic momentum going for students while keeping in mind the high degree of variability that each family will have during the upcoming weeks. Students are all levels should expect a full day of instruction, Monday through Friday, which will be a combination of both synchronous and asynchronous instruction. The following guidelines are being used by our teachers to develop instruction:
- K-4: Please see the elementary schedule example
- 5-6: Please see the 5-6 example
- 7-12: Please see the 7-12 example
Update to the 7-12 Grade Schedule
As recommended by the Board of School Directors on August 3rd, students will be following the regular building bell schedule for virtual instruction. Students are expected to participate in synchronous instruction for every class period in accordance with the building schedule. The schedule will run on a regular 6-day rotation. The goal is to recreate the instruction within the classroom as best as possible in a virtual setting.
What will a school day look like? There are many forms this may take. In a traditional classroom setting, our teachers don’t typically lecture every day for 45 minutes, so students should not expect extended blocks of lecturing online. Each teacher will follow their established lesson plans to identify the structure for each class period and will communicate this with their students, based on the instructional needs of the students and content/subject.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday will run on a synchronous schedule following the traditional bell schedule. Students are expected to be in live sessions via Zoom at the start of each class period. On Wednesday, students will continue to receive synchronous instruction via Canvas. Monday through Friday, students will still be required to attend their scheduled class period.
- Students are expected to check into each class via Zoom or Microsoft Teams at the start of the class period each day.
- As in a traditional classroom, the teacher will begin the lesson with expectations and an overview of the lesson.
- Students will participate in live instruction via Zoom or Microsoft Teams approximately 50% of the time, which may change on a daily/weekly basis depending on the class needs. All expectations will be clearly communicated with students.
- Live sessions scheduled via Zoom or Microsoft Teams are not optional for students. Students are expected to be actively participating in all scheduled sessions. We understand that extenuating circumstances arise. If a student cannot attend a session, they are expected to communicate this with the teacher and make up the work, as they would in a traditional setting.
Please refer to the attendance procedures for information on how attendance will be recorded.
Parents are encouraged to review the Instructional Continuation Plan with their children prior to the start of the school year. Please click here to review the 7-12 section.
In addition, the district will allow flexibility in permitting teachers to determine where they wish to teach, either in-district or from home. It is expected that teachers will make every attempt to teach in-district; however, we do understand that some individuals face circumstances that may prohibit them from doing so. As we begin to bring students back into the buildings; however, that flexibility will dissolve and teachers will be required to return in-district. We are confident in the professionalism of our teachers and their ability to provide an outstanding education to our students.
District administration along with the Board of School Directors will continue to monitor the mandates, recommendations, and regulations surrounding the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic. During this time, families will continue to receive regular Weekly Updates each Wednesday.
School Nurse Update
PA State Vaccination Requirements: The 28 Pa. Code § 23.83, which requires students to have up to date vaccinations to begin each school year, or exclusion on file in the nurse’s office. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Governor Wolf has provided additional time to comply with these regulations. The immunization requirements for the 2020-2021 School Year can be found here. This applies to all students that are in the SFASD (in-person, hybrid and cyber). The Pennsylvania Department of Health immunization requirements for the 2020-2021 School Year.
PA State Mandated Health Requirements
PA State Mandated Health Requirements: The 28 Pa. Code § 23.83, which requires students to have up to date health examinations forms for certain students each school year. Links to forms: PHYSICAL and DENTAL.
If you are NEW (moving into or enrolling in Kindergarten), turn in a physical with immunizations and a dental. Please click here to find school nurse contact information.
- Current 3rd graders - Turn in a dental exam
- Current 6th graders - Turn in a physical with immunization updates
- Current 7th graders - Turn in a dental and first dose of MCV and Tdap immunizations
- Current 11th graders - Turn in a physical with updated immunizations
Technology Update: Grades K-6
Due to the overwhelming response to the device survey and the change in the first day of school to September 8th, the Technology Department has changed the date of the K-6 device distribution. New dates are as follows:
- September 1-4, 10 a.m.-12 p.m. and 3-5 p.m.
- Grades K-6 and cyber students
Any student in grade 7-12 who has not yet received a device can come on any of these times. Deployment will take place at the 9th Grade Center
Anyone who has not filled out the request form please fill out this form.
Spring-Ford Ram Chat
You voiced your questions and we heard. Spring-Ford is airing weekly pre-recorded Q&A sessions with a variety of hosts and guests who will discuss the details of what school will look like this fall. Videos will be posted to RCTV’s YouTube leading up to the start of the school year.
- Ram Chat Episode 3: Focus on the Virtual School Day
- Ram Chat Episode 4: Focus on COVID Safety Protocols
Please click here to submit questions for next week’s Ram Chat. To maintain privacy, questions specific to your child will not be addressed in this session.
August School Board Meetings
The Board of School Directors shall convene for a regular meeting Monday, August 24 at 7:30 p.m. Participation at this meeting shall be via virtual meeting platform, Zoom or YouTube.
- As always, meetings are filmed by RCTV and available to watch online. Individuals who plan on watching the meeting and do not plan on making Public Comment should watch using the live YouTube link.
- Since the mandated shutdown, Spring-Ford has utilized Zoom to broadcast our school board meetings. Individuals who plan on watching online and would like to make Public Comment should click here to participate using Zoom.
Due to the Governor’s recent order restricting indoor group meetings to 25 people, the best way to participate in a Spring-Ford Board Meeting is by watching on YouTube or Zoom. This meeting will not be open for in-person attendance beyond a total of 25 people.
REMINDER: First Day Verification
Whether this is your first year as a Spring-Ford parent or your last, the transition to a new school year can be a bit overwhelming. To help with this process, the Spring-Ford Area School District will utilize online First Day Verification for the 2020-2021 school year.
Parents/guardians may log into Skyward Family Access to complete the First Day Verification process. Please note, teacher information, homerooms and schedules will not be available until your First Day Verification is complete.
2020-2021 Schedule/Homeroom Release Dates:
- K-4: August 19, 2020 at 3 p.m.
- 5th – 8th: August 20, 2020 at 3 p.m.
- 9th – 12th: August 21, 2020 at 3 p.m.