Weekly Update with Mr. Rizzo
This week Mr. Rizzo talks about contact tracing, masking best practices, upcoming events, and more. Click here to watch his September 22nd Weekly Update video.
Last week, SFASD School Nurses shared information on Contract Tracing, Mask Wearing, and the SFASD COVID Dashboard. Click the video link below to learn more about each topic:
- Contact Tracing Video
- Understanding the COVID Dashboard Video
- How to Wear Your Face Mask Correctly Video
Water Main Project on Lewis Road
Pennsylvania American Water has notified SFASD of an upcoming road project in our area. The project involves replacing the aging water main, as well as utility-owned service lines and fire hydrants along the pipeline route.
Who: Pennsylvania American Water
What: Water main replacement project
When: Starting on September 27th targeted end date January 2022. Working hours are from 9am to 3pm.
Where: On Lewis Rd between Pine Tree Drive and Royersford Road. Traffic will be redirected on Lewis Road to one lane in each direction between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. There is no anticipated interruption to transportation services for SFASD. Mid-day motorists should plan for some delays.
Masking Best Practices from the Reopening Toolkit
The following Masks are allowable for school use.
- Two or more layers of washable. Breathable fabric.
- Completely covers your nose and mouth.
- Fits snugly against the sides of your face and doesn’t have gaps.
- Has a nose wire to prevent air from leaking out of the top of the mask. (Disposable Surgical)
- Gaiters with two layers, or fold to make it two layers.
The following masks are not allowable for use in schools.
- Having valves or vents which allow virus particles to escape.
- Having mesh only or webbing only and used as a face covering.
- Any clear face shield either partial or full alone is not allowable without a specific medical waiver. Clear face shields are allowable in combination with a mask listed above.
- Long term use of N95 masks is not recommended for children by the CDC.
- N95 masks are for priority use for our healthcare workers.
Please refer to the CDC guideline if you have any questions regarding the proper wear of your mask or how to clean reusable masks.
Parent Group Spotlight: Spring-Ford Music Association
The Spring-Ford Music Association is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that supports all music ensembles within the Spring-Ford Area School District. Through our fundraising efforts we are able to provide a variety of items and services to our music programs. Here are just a few examples of what SFMA provides to our programs:
- Funding for clinicians and guest conductors to work with the ensembles
- Funding for our Indoor Color Guard, Indoor Percussion and Cadet Guard units
- Recruit and organize volunteers for trips and competitions
- Provide logistical support
Join SFMA for two fundraisers this weekend:
- Clothing Drive: cleaning out your closest can help raise money for SFMA! Join the group this Sunday, September 26th from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Spring-Ford Area High School. They can take adult and children's clothing, shoes, handbags, towels, linens, sheets, backpacks, and more.
- Mattress Fundraiser: Sunday, September 26th from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Spring-Ford Area High School. Find twins from $199, Fulls from $299, Queens from $399, and Kings from $499.
Visit the SFMA website for more information.
Special Education Survey
The Spring-Ford Special Education department would like to provide parents of students with special needs resources throughout the district website as well as the opportunity to attend educational programs or presentations to gain a better understanding of Special Education. Could you please complete the form below to assist us in our planning?
Bus Patrol Rolling Into Spring-Ford
The Spring-Ford Area School District is proud to partner with BusPatrol starting this school year. BusPatrol is a safety technology company with the mission of making the journey to and from school safer for children. BusPatrol's safety programs change driver behavior and create a culture of awareness and responsibility around school buses. In addition, they provide accessibility for school districts, and municipalities to modernize their entire school bus fleets by outfitting them with the latest stop-arm, route planning and route execution technology. The program and cameras will go-live starting in October.
The partnership with BusPatrol will reduce the number of illegal passes in Spring-Ford, by educating drivers and helping local law enforcement to capture and enforce violations. The AI-powered stop-arm cameras capture the license plates of vehicles that ignore school bus stop-arms.
As well as stop-arm cameras, the entire school bus fleet at Spring-Ford Area School District will be outfitted with 360° cloud-managed safety cameras and a silent alarm system. This will improve safety on the school bus and allow the school district to respond immediately if there is an emergency. The technology, installation, and maintenance are provided at zero cost through BusPatrol’s violator-funded business model.
Shh… Spring-Ford SNAP Has a Secret to Share
Spring-Ford SNAP's Dancing with the Stars Returns April 30, 2022! Will you be one? Find out how, click the link below to learn more! https://sfsnap.org/
Spring-Ford Level of Community Transmission: Schools should work with local public health officials to determine the additional prevention strategies needed in their area by monitoring levels of community transmission (i.e., low, moderate, substantial, or high). SFASD will refer to the Montgomery County Office of Public Health (MCOPH) COVID-19 Rates by School District Dashboard (link below). MCOPH will update their weekly data each Tuesday. Click here for the 2021-2022 Dashboard.
Montgomery and Chester County COVID Dashboard Trends:
Find Available Vaccine Appointments: Many local locations have vaccines available, some offering same-day appointments or walk-in appointments. MCOPH will release vaccine appointments within phases randomly, not by the date registered. Click here to register for a vaccine appointment.
Local Vaccine Search: Enter your zip code for a listing of local sites.