Start of the New School Year
Dear Parents of Incoming 8th Grade Students:
We hope that all is well and that your family has experienced an enjoyable summer vacation. Since the start of the 2021-2022 school year is rapidly approaching, we wanted to provide you with some relevant information to assist in your child’s successful return to school.
Included on this page is a video that was prepared by the building principal, Dr. Siggins, and one of our science teachers, Mr. Parsia, that discusses pertinent issues related to the start of the new school year.
In addition to this informative video, links to departmental teacher supply lists have also been included.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your child’s assigned guidance counselor and/or our main office for assistance. We look forward to working with your family during your child’s eighth grade school year.
Dr. Michael Siggins, Principal
IMPORTANT UPDATES AND REMINDERS FOR THE START OF THE 2021-22 SCHOOL YEAR
• Self-Guided Walk-Throughs:
- Thursday, August 19th from 10:00 AM until 2:00 PM.
- Monday, August 23rd from 10:00 AM until 2:00 PM.
- Tuesday, August 24th from 10:00 AM until 2:00 PM.
- Facial coverings are recommended during the self-guided building tour.
- Bring a copy of your student’s schedule to the self-guided building tour.
- Building maps and other forms will be available.
• Student Lunches:
- To access a student’s lunch time in Skyward, utilize the following steps:
▪ Family Access
▪ Report Cards
▪ Lunch Times
- Given distancing requirements, students will be assigned to our cafeteria or the auxiliary gym for the lunch period. That information will be provided on the first day of school.
• Student Drop-Off and Pick-Up:
- Parents should drop-off and pick-up students on the school side of Washington Street.
- Parents should not drop-off or pick-up students in front of the row homes across from the auxiliary gym. These residents have on-street parking and if those spaces are taken by our parents, the police will be notified.
- See picture of traffic pattern.
• The Spring-Ford Area School District’s 2021-2022 Health and Safety Plan was amended, and now recommends that all students and staff wear facial coverings while indoors during school activities.
• Students will be assigned a locker during homeroom.
• Students will be permitted to carry their backpack during the school day.
• Students will be permitted to carry a water bottle during the school day.
• Given current conditions, students will have the option of changing for physical education class. When conditions improve, students will be expected to change for physical education class.
• Open House:
- Wednesday, September 1st beginning at 7:00 PM in your child’s homeroom.
- Facial coverings are recommended.
- Bring a copy of your child’s schedule.
We look forward to seeing many of you during our upcoming self-guided building tours. Please enjoy the remaining days of your summer vacation.
A few Athletic Reminders for Fall Student Athletes:
- Middle School sports will begin in early September, with the exception of 8th grade football, tryouts begin on Monday, August 30, 2021.
- Online Registration must be completed before you turn in Section 6 Health History and Section 7 CIPPE Physical, these forms are due 2 weeks before the tryouts/season begins.
- When turning in the Health History form be sure that the student and parent has signed the the form.
- Forms can be dropped off at the 8th grade center from Monday through Thursday from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm or emailed to Mr. Harrison at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Activity Fee’s are paid through School Pay and you will not be able to pay them until after tryouts. You will receive an email from the athletic department with instructions.
August 2: First Day Verification Opens at 3 p.m.!
August 11: Back to Spring-Ford Night
August 18: 5-8 schedules posted to Skyward after 3 p.m.
August 29: Enjoy your last day of summer, we’ll “see” you tomorrow!
August 30: Welcome Back to the First Day of School!
August 30: Canvas opens!
August 30: Canvas opens!
8/2 - First Day Verification opens
8/16 - Athletic forms for football must be completed and submitted
8/18 - Student schedules released in Skyward at 3:00 p.m.
8/19 - Self-guided building tours from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
8/23 - Self-guided building tours from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
8/23 - Athletic forms for all other fall sports must be completed and submitted
8/24 - Self-guided building tours from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
8/30 - First day of school
9/1 - Back to School Night beginning at 7 p.m.