Mrs. Katie Bates
Brooke Elementary School Counselor
Mission Statement: The goal of the Spring-Ford Area School District counseling program is to facilitate the academic, personal, social and emotional development of each student. Through developmentally appropriate lessons, which are proactive and preventative in nature, enhanced with individual and small group counseling when applicable, students are given the tools to make informed academic choices and become life long learners. Counselors work with teachers, administrators, parents and other school personnel to create an environment conducive to learning and to promote the development of positive self esteem and healthy behaviors. We are committed to supporting students in realizing their potential and enabling them to become connected, caring, and contributing members of our society.
I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to the Brooke “family”. As a School Counselor, I have the pleasure of working with every student at Brooke Elementary, along with many of their parents. In the role of the School Counselor, my job involves a variety of duties. Some of these include:
- Conducting classroom counseling lessons at all grade levels. These lessons cover a variety of topics such as skills for learning, emotion management, empathy and problem solving.
- Meeting with students, either individually or in small groups, to discuss concerns and brainstorm solutions. These meetings occur through student self-referrals or at the request of a parent or teacher.
- Informally assessing students’ ability to determine the need for a Gifted Evaluation. In addition to conducting these assessments, I assist parents and staff members in interpreting the results.
- Being a member of the Instructional Support Team - a group of staff members who meet with the student’s parent(s) to determine what interventions can be utilized in order for each student to reach his/her maximum potential.
- Communicating between the home and school as necessary for student success.
- Consulting with teachers on a regular basis.
- Collaborating with parents as a liaison between home and school.
- Providing referral options for outside agencies upon parent request.
- Getting to know each student. Sometimes, “Lunch Bunch” sessions take place while providing a relaxed atmosphere to socialize and get acquainted. The students truly enjoy this opportunity and look forward to attending!
I am an advocate for the children of Brooke Elementary! If you have a question or concern, please do not hesitate to contact me, either by telephone at 610-705-6166, or via e-mail at email@example.com. I look forward to working with you and your child(ren) this year.
Best wishes for a fantastic school year!
Get To Know Your School Counselor:
My educational experience includes a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology with a Clinical/Counseling Concentration from Kutztown University, a Master of Arts degree in Counseling Psychology from Immaculata University, and the completion of coursework in the area of Applied Behavior Analysis from Florida Institute of Technology. I possess my Elementary School Counselor Certification, am Board Certified in Behavior Analysis, and am licensed as a Behavior Specialist in the state of Pennsylvania. My internship and practicum experience have included a semester with Fellowship Health Resources’ Outpatient Services and one year at Royersford Elementary School as a School Counselor Intern.
Please know that I always value any input you provide to me.As such, if you have a concern or information to share specifically about your child, please feel free to contact me directly.I would be happy to speak with you personally.It is an honor to have been chosen to serve your school community, and I look forward to our work together in support of student success.