Mrs. Jennifer McVey
Oaks Elementary School Counselor
Mrs. Joanna Trautman
Oaks Elementary School Counselor, Grades 2,3
Mission Statement: The goal of the Spring-Ford Area School District counseling program is to facilitate the academic, personal, social and emotional development of each student. Through developmentally appropriate lessons, which are proactive and preventative in nature, enhanced with individual and small group counseling when applicable, students are given the tools to make informed academic choices and become life long learners. Counselors work with teachers, administrators, parents and other school personnel to create an environment conducive to learning and to promote the development of positive self esteem and healthy behaviors. We are committed to supporting students in realizing their potential and enabling them to become connected, caring, and contributing members of our society.
As we begin a new school year, we would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to the Oaks Family. As school counselors, we have the pleasure of working with every student at Oaks Elementary, along with many of their parents.
In the role of school counselor, our job involves a variety of duties. Some of these include:
- Conducting classroom counseling lessons at all grade levels. These lessons cover a variety of topics, such as skills for learning, emotion management, empathy and problem solving.
- Meeting with students, either individually or in small groups, to discuss concerns and brainstorm solutions. These meetings occur through student self-referrals or at the request of a parent or teacher.
- Informal assessing of students’ abilities and achievement. In addition to conducting assessments, I assist parents and staff members in interpreting the results.
- Being a member of the Instructional Support Team; a group of staff members who meet with the student’s parent(s) to determine what interventions can be utilized in order for each student to reach their maximum potential.
- Communicating between the home and school as it is important for student success. Consulting with teachers, on a regular basis, is in the best interest of our students as well as collaborating with parents as a liaison between home and school.
- Providing referral options to outside agencies upon parent request.
During the course of the school year, making it a point to get to know each student. Sometimes, “lunch bunch” sessions take place while providing a relaxed atmosphere to socialize and get acquainted. The students truly enjoy this opportunity and look forward to attending!
We are advocates for the children of Oaks Elementary. If you have a question or concern, please don’t hesitate to contact us, either by telephone at 610-705-6179, or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
We look forward to working with you and your children this year. Best wishes for a fantastic school year!
Mrs. Jennifer McVey
Mrs. Joanna Trautman, firstname.lastname@example.org